Freedom’s Story Begins in 1922
Freedom’s story began in 1922 when it was originally chartered as the Western Massachusetts Telephone Workers Credit Union. From a small office in the telephone company building on Worthington Street in Springfield, Massachusetts, the credit union grew until we found a new home on Main Street in Springfield. Today, this branch serves as the credit union’s headquarters.
As demand for the benefits of a credit union grew, we applied for a community charter. In January 2001, membership eligibility was greatly expanded to include anyone who lived or worked in Hampden, Hampshire, Franklin or Berkshire counties in Massachusetts. In February 2020, further expansion of membership eligibility included Hartford or Tolland counties of Connecticut.
Highlights from Freedom’s History
2004: In January, the membership voted to change the credit union’s name, marking the birth of Freedom Credit Union. New branches were opened in Chicopee and Northampton.
2005: We created the Credit Union Partners (CUPs) program to provide businesses a no-cost benefits package to their employees including credit union membership and special promotions. We also opened a new branch in Turners Falls.
2009: We opened our Greenfield and Feeding Hills branches.
2010: Easthampton branch opened.
2011: We opened a second Springfield branch in Sixteen Acres.
2012: We opened our Ludlow branch.
2014: Membership eligibility was expanded again to include anyone attending college in the four counties of western Massachusetts, and we opened our branch within Roger L. Putnam Vocational Technical Academy.
2019: We merged with West Springfield Federal Credit Union, opening our new West Springfield branch.
2020: In February, we expanded our charter to include Hartford and Tolland counties in Connecticut.